Wednesday 14 November 2012

Pre-course




Pre-course feelings:

Wow, they are super organised and sent an introductory email 2 months before the course start date! They have suggested participants make themselves familiar with various social media websites - Great start. Will it continue? 

Very excited to see how the course goes, particularly how social media and other tools are used to aid learning. I'm also interested to see what level of commitment both myself and others put into a free and non- accredited course. 

Wow, loads of people on Twitter already. Mainly posts just stating that they are excited about starting the course, but certainly very positive to see so much healthy participation before the course even starting. 

I like the idea of keeping a blog. Firstly I think it's a good way to stop ideas simply buzzing around in your head; it forces you to process them, logically order them (hopefully) and record them. Not only does this give me the opportunity to explore the questions further, but it also gives other the opportunity to contribute with the 'learning' process. Thoughts?

To do list:

Learn how to use twitter more effectively (any help welcome)
  • learn what lists are and how to use them
  • learn some of the other features which may be useful
Experiment a little with google+ to learn a bit more about it and how it works. 



6 comments:

  1. Hello Kyle. I hope you enjoy keeping your blog. I find writing things down actually helps you think things through. How do you know what you think, until you try to express it? There is quite a good guide on Twitter here http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Twitter
    Hashtags on Twiytter are a great way to get thoughts grouped together on one theme. Lists are good too. I made some for myself and themed the people I follow according to subject (sport, music, news etc). It helps you sift through the morass of information on Twitter!

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your video, Kyle - how did you create that?
    I'm somewhat daunted by all these social media channels and how to use them - I think it is possible to post something once and have it appear everywhere? I don't (yet) know how to do that though!
    Do you have a preference for Vimeo over YouTube?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The video was just me drawing on a whiteboard and filming it on my phone. It's really simple, but I had wanted to try it for a while. It actually took no longer than 30mins to create.

      I have the same issues with multiple channels. I think you can have your twitter posts automatically posted to your facebook, but that's about it. I just try to keep as much of it seperate as possible so as not to be posting the same thing on different platforms unless I want to reach specific people. Perhaps there is an easy way of doing this, but I'm certainly there yet. Perhaps there is an app. lol

      I do prefer vimeo a little, but it's simple a 'privacy by obscurity' thing; I just feel that less people use vimeo and so are less likely to find my ridiculous uploads. Although youtube is much faster at uploading, converting and giving you your link.

      Delete
  3. PS - I had some difficulty proving I was not a robot to publish that comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really like your video, Kyle and thanks so much for sharing the technique with us - I've already passed it along ... Best, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Kyle. I really appreciated the upbeat music along with your video. Thank you for being inspirational.

    ReplyDelete